As the air turns cool and the holiday seasons descend upon us, we can’t help but think of the warm, savory flavors our traditional meals bring us. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner are events we look forward to all year long. Though I often talk about buying fresh, make your own, avoid boxed meals – I have to admit, I have a weakness: Stove Top Stuffing. The barrage of seasonings and flavors were irresistible to me since I was just a young lad.
So what if I need a little sumfin’ sumfin’ to get me by until our table is set with gifts of culinary pleasures? What if your grandpa shows up at 10:00 AM and won’t stop asking when we’re going to eat? I used these excuses to come up with something that is going to be deemed by many as pure evil, the Thanksgiving Breakfast Brownie. There is nothing sweet to it, but has an amazing savory punch in the mouth served by Mike Tyson. So before I give you an ear full of more bad writing, lets get to cooking.
- 1lb. ground breakfast sausage
- 1 box Stove Top Stuffing
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven at 425 degrees
- Brown the sausage in a skillet and strain in a colander
- Combine milk and eggs and beat, add salt and pepper to taste
- Add the eggs to the skillet, heat on medium – left over sausage drippings makes it taste even better
- Scramble eggs – don’t overcook
- Make the Stove Top Stuffing per instructions on the box
- Place the sausage, eggs, and stuffing in a large mixing bowl and combine
- Added a tiny bit of salt to bring out the flavors, maybe about a teaspoon
- Scoop the mix into the brownie pan and pat down
- Place on the middle rack in the oven for 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes before popping them out
This is an extremely easy and quick meal to make. My kids also love them for an easy breakfast in the morning.
You can also try topping with cranberry sauce or even a white country gravy. I couldn’t add the gravy in fear that my dopamine levels could spike causing my brain to short circuit.
Happy holidays y’all! And do good.